The Customs House

The Terrace

small crest
Customs House old
Customs House old
(D. Grierson)

The Customs House in a drawing by Llwyd Roberts.

This elegant building was erected in 1816, for the excise department, with the customs sharing the building in 1818.

The site was originally the Fountain Inn, which was moved across the road.

small crest
Customs House 2000
Customs House 2000
(J. Lord)

As you can see, the Customs House building looks just about the same as the sketch above.

On the left of the building, from our point of view, is a yard that houses a small museum of exhibits, showing the history of the Customs service.

Also in there are items that have been confiscated, ie. skins etc of endangered species, rare birds, and tools of the trade, of the smugglers and those engaged in illigal activities.

Well worth a visit, when the museum is open to the public a few days each year.

Page last updated - Mon, 27 November 2006 17:06:18 GMT